TEST YOUR SMOKE DETECTORS
There should be at least one smoke detector on each level of your home, and the batteries should be replaced at least once a year. Remember that new smoke detectors cost less than 10 dollars, and they can save a life.
GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER.
Read the instructions and place it away from where open flames could impair access yet close enough for quick access. Make sure every adult and young adult a) knows where they are and b) learns how to use a fire extinguisher. Click here for demo. Don't use a fire extinguisher on a pan filled with oil!
CLEAN YOUR OVEN, STOVE AND EXHAUST HOOD
Grease buildup can contribute to a kitchen fire. And keep a fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink.
NEVER LEAVE COOKING FOOD UNATTENDED.
f you are faced with a grease fire, remember: put a lid on it and turn the heat source off. For more on GREASE FIRES SAFETY TIPS CLICK HERE
KEEP CANDLES OUT OF REACH OF PETS AND CHILDREN
Guest, tails and children should not be able to easily access the candles. The candle holder should be completely noncombustible and difficult to knock over. The candle should not have combustible/flammable decorations around it.
Keep matches out of reach of children!
DON'T OVERLOAD ELECTRICAL OUTLETS
Never run an extension cord under any carpet or rug, and be particularly careful about multiple tree light sets. If an extension cord is frayed or even in doubt, discard and replace it.
REPLACE OLD BULB SETS WITH MINI-LIGHTS
In general, the inexpensive mini-lights are safer than old-fashioned "screw-in" bulb sets, because they generate substantially less heat per bulb.
ELECTRIC SPACE HEATERS ARE SAFE ONLY IF USED ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS. Don't allow furniture or decorations to sit too close. Again, be careful to not overload electrical circuits. Don't leave them unattended!
& OUTDOOR LIGHTS
SHOP FOR UL APPROVED LIGHTS
When deciding on lights and other electrical accessories to purchase, we strongly recommend you choose those that are UL-approved. And when you decorate outdoors, it’s tempting to use lighting you already have on hand. If you do, be sure this lighting is designated for outdoor use. Ice, rain, or other weather related conditions can cause electrical shock or create a fire hazard. If you’re not sure whether your lighting is rated for outdoor use, look at the color-coded UL mark on the packaging. An “Indoors Only, Please” green, holographic mark will be listed on your package for an indoor product. A product approved for “Indoor and Outdoor” use will be marked red.
USE PROPERLY SIZED STRIP OUTLETS
With built-in circuit breakers are best, if you need them. Avoid using extension cords, but if you do, follow instructions carefully to avoid overloading. Cords should never feel hot or even warm.
INSPECT YOUR LIGHTS
Before using your light string, check out the lights on it. Look for signs of damage to wiring, plugs and bulbs. It’s important not to use damaged products until they have been repaired. If the cord or plug is damaged, discard it.
UNPLUG LIGHTS BEFORE REPLACING BULBS
Unplug light strings before replacing light bulbs on the strings or making repairs to them. Although electric light bulbs are small, they still have enough voltage running through them to cause injuries or fires. You can't be too cautious when you combine electricity and combustible material, such as Christmas tree needles.
MATCH LIGHT BULB WATTAGE
If you have a burned out bulb on a string of lights, make sure the wattage of the replacement bulb matches the one you're replacing. Exchanging a bulb with another one with a higher wattage can overheat the light string and cause a fire.
CHECK ALL LIGHTS FOR FRAYED OR DAMAGED CORDS
Replace if necessary. Don't risk trying to repair older light sets. It's not worth the chance.
TURN OFF HOLIDAY LIGHTS
Prior to leaving your home or going to bed.
PLACE TREE AWAY FROM HEAR SOURCE
Such as fireplaces. Also, keep the tree away from furnace vents, which might dry the tree out. Do not allow your tree to block or restrict any exits from the room.
KEEP LIVE CANDLES AWAY FROM TREE
Your life and your family's life is just not worth the risk. Its simply too dangerous
SAFELY DISPOSE OF DRY TREES AND WREATHS
Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry. And never burn your tree or any tree parts in your fireplace.
>> Don't leave them burning in a room with no one in it.
>> Don't put them in or by a Christmas tree, plants, flowers or foliage. Ribbons and other decorations around the candle holder could also catch fire.
>> Make sure they're in holders that won't fall over.
>> Put night lights or tea lights on a heat-resistant surface.
>> Keep them away from curtains and furniture, and not under a surface, like a shelf.
>> Don't put them where they could be knocked over easily or where people could burn their clothes or hair on them.
>> Make sure they're completely out - not smouldering.
>> Keep children and pets away
>> Keep candles at least 4 inches (10 cm) apart
It can result in a very large fire, throwing off dangerous sparks and embers and may result in a chimney fire.
INSTALL A SCREEN
Screen needs to completely cover the fireplace opening to keep sparks from flying out. Keep combustible materials such as carpets, furniture, paper, logs and kindling at least 3 feet away from the fireplace. Arrange andirons so logs can’t roll out.
AVOID ROARING FIRES
Use only enough fuel to keep the fire at the desired temperature. Avoid “roaring” fires. They can start chimney fires from soot and creosote deposits in the flue.
DON'T USE GASOLINE OR FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS
to kindle or rekindle a fire because the flammable vapors can explode. Never use or store fuels near a fire; explosive vapors can travel the length of a room.
NEVER BURN CHRISTMAS TREE GREENS
They cause many sparks when burning and can cause a chimney fire.
DON'T USE COAL, CHARCOAL OR POLYSTYRENE PACKAGING
in a fireplace unless the fireplace is designed to handle the excess heat and smoke which occurs when burning these materials.
DON'T USE MORE THAN 1 ARTIFICIAL LOG AT A TIME
Do not treat artificial logs (made from sawdust and wax) the same way you treat real wood logs. Use only one at a time. If you use more, they can produce too much heat for some fireplaces to withstand.
BE SURE ASHES ARE COOL BEFORE DISPOSING
Put ashes in a lidded metal container to prevent a possible fire and provide a sturdy place to store them. Ashes make good fertilizer in gardens, flowerbeds, etc.
MAKE SURE FIRE IS COMPLETELY OUT BEFORE GOING TO BED
Smoldering ashes may spark and start a fire while your are sleeping.